This is where the Shakespeare story began.
Shakespeare’s Birthplace has been welcoming visitors for over 250 years. Situated in Henley Street is the half timbered building where William Shakespeare was born and was the house where William and his brothers and sisters were brought up.
The building was acquired by his father John in two transactions in 1556 and 1575, it is thought that he was a tenant in one part or possibly both.The house itself is relatively simple, but for the late 16th century it would have been considered quite a substantial dwelling.The building is not outstanding architecturally, and typical of the times was constructed in wattle and daub around a wooden frame.
Alterations created a separate single bay house when this was added to the original structure and was now known as “Joan Harts” cottage. In later years the main house was leased out to Lewis Hiccox who converted it to an inn known as the “Maidenhead” and later to be known as “The Swan and Maidenhead”.
The world famous Anne Hathaway’s Cottage is situated in Shottery 1 mile from Stratford-upon-Avon and was the childhood home of Shakespeare’s wife.
The beautiful half timbered cottage was in fact a 12 roomed farmhouse with several bedrooms that had its origins in the mid 15th century with alterations in evidence during the early 17th century.
The cottage was known as Newlands Farm in Shakespeare’s day and had more than 90 acres (36 hectares) of land attached to it. As in many houses of the period, it has multiple chimneys to spread the heat evenly throughout the house during winter. The largest chimney was used for cooking. It also has visible timber framing, typical of vernacular Tudor style architecture.
Nash’s House on Chapel Street was a property inherited by Shakespeare’s daughter Susanna Hall, on her death it passed on to her daughter Elizabeth. This house stood next door to New Place.
New Place is the name of William Shakespeare’s final place of residence in Stratford-upon-Avon. He died there in 1616.
The house stood on the corner of Chapel Street and Chapel Lane and was apparently the second-biggest dwelling in the town.
The Shakespeare Birthplace Trust acquired New Place and Nash’s House in 1876.